Sunday, November 26, 2017

WHEN LOSING HOPE SEEM TO BE THE ONLY HOPE


"I just couldn't figure it out how he came into this point of taking his own life. I knew him as a strong kind of a person; a flamboyant type of a person everybody wants to be around with," confided by a friend as she was asked about a tragic incident. "He was an outgoing type less likely to commit suicide."


We were in our customary first-hour morning formation and troop mustering one pleasant day, when suddenly, we heard a sound of a gun shot somewhere along the Officer's barracks. When the responding comrades returned, we saw them rushing and carrying the body of an Officer towards a vehicle in an attempt to save his life. A military Officer committed suicide.

What would be the answer when losing hope seem to be the only hope?

What makes a person to opt taking one's life as an ultimate and final answer to his predicament?

Experts disclosed that suicide is primarily a male problem. In the U.S. alone, approximately 30,000 people commit suicide each year and 80% were men. Overall, males kill themselves at rate that are 4 times higher than females. The rate even increases as the age groups elevate.

Dr. Thomas Joiner, Ph. D., a distinguished professor and leading expert in Psychology, reveals three key motivational aspects which contribute to suicide. These are: 1) a sense of not belonging, of being alone, 2) a sense of not contributing, of being a burden, and 3) a capability for suicide, not being afraid to die. Accordingly, all three (3) of these motivations or preconditions must be in place before someone will attempt suicide.

It would be prudent that we take note of the aforementioned, lest we miss on these warning signs.

Okay, let's elaborate further these 3 preconditions or warning signs and its accompanying behavior in order to prevent, detect, or mitigate the problem:

1. Thwarted Belongingness

    These days, I feel disconnected from other people.

    These days, I rarely interact with people who care about me.

    These days, I don’t feel I belong.

    These days, I often feel like an outsider in social gatherings.

2. Perceived Burdensomeness

    These days the people in my life would be better off if I were gone.

    These days the people in my life would be happier without me.

    These days I think I have failed the people in my life.

    These days I feel like a burden on the people in my life.

3. Capacity for Suicide

    Things that scare most people do not scare me.

    The sight of my own blood does not bother me.

    I can tolerate a lot more pain than most people.

    I am not at all afraid to die.

Dr. Jed Diamond, Ph. D., who works closely with Dr. Joiner, imparted:

Some people believe that if a person is going to kill themselves, there’s nothing one can do. If you try to stop them, they’ll just bide their time and do it later. However, we now know that suicidal intention is transient. If we can get support to get through those times when we feel disconnected, a burden to others, and having the means and mind-set to actually kill ourselves, we can begin to develop the social supports to turn things around.

Undergoing series of prescribed depression treatment with the help of a professional therapist, will also be of help.

Let me just add: Since Hopelessness is the one common denominator that we could obviously see as a potential stimulus why one commits suicide, what a great relief would it bring to anyone concerned, if we equip and also arm ourselves with the enlightening letter and spirit of the Word of God. Why? Because I believe, that no amount of darkness can withstand the hope and light brought about by the Governor - the Holy Spirit - as He invades and influence any kind of situation and territory, even how bleak it may seem to appear, with the culture of the Kingdom of Heaven.

I remember in the Book of Zechariah where it says, "Return to your fortress, you prisoners of hope. Even now, I announce, that I will restore twice as much to you." - Zech. 9:12

The only account in the scripture where slavery was allowed, is found in the above verse. In here, God permits us to be a slave of hope, where we should always be in a persistent mode of expecting; that great things ahead are in store for us.

Moreso, I believe that anyone among us is vulnerable. We can not brag to say that we can never be one among the potential victims; that we are strong for such a thing. But, we can never really know what tomorrow might bring. Especially now that other experts and quarters in the field, already inclined to believe that depression is now a malady that may hit a non-suspecting individual, just like catching a flu virus - a condition that now moves out of the norms of heredity or mere emotional pattern.

At any rate, in the Scripture, there were these hopeless dry bones mentioned about by Prophet Ezekiel (Ezek. 37: 1-14). Although the context of the account symbolizes a lot of marvelous accounts and things of the Lord, past and future, dry bones actually represents, among the few, hopelessness... yet - the good news is - we can prophesy to the bones, and life and hope shall come forth.

Prophesy now... "Fear not little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the Kingdom." - Luke 12:32

Indeed, we can prophesy: Losing hope will never be the source of hope!

Finally, what lies ahead of us and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within is.

"Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you!" - Luke 17:21

No comments:

Post a Comment